This site is under BETA testing started on 26-July-2012. All data is for testing purpose, are properties of their respective owners.

We've tried to ensure the information displayed here is as accurate as possible. Should there be any inaccuracies, we would be grateful if you could let us know at info@ipohworld.org . All images and content are copyright.

(Please click on the thumbnail for a bigger image.)

The First Custom-Built Masonic Lodge, Ipoh (Which Succesively Became The High Court, Anderson School And The Education Department)

Thumbnail :

Subject :The First Custom-Built Masonic Lodge, Ipoh (Which Succesively Became the High Court, Anderson School and the Education Department)
Published By : Times of Malaya Press, Ltd., Ipoh
Location : Maxwell Road, Ipoh
Estimated Year : 1912
Media Type : Postcard
Source : Ian Anderson, Ipoh / Kinta Properties Group
Remark :

This divided back postcard by Mikasa & Co, Ipoh, Lodge shows Ipoh's first dedicated and custom-built Masonic Lodge Angus, Ipoh. This was the third premises for this lodge also known as the Kinta Masonic Lodge (designed and supervised by architect C H Labrooy with assistance from Lodge me mbers) which had previously been housed in a shophouse at 2 Hugh Low Street (from 6 April 1907 to 1908), consecrated as Lodge 3212 on 16th April 1907, and then 5 Hale Street (1908 to 1911).

The foundation stone of this building was laid on 1 April 1911 by Worshipful Brother A R Adams assisted by Worshipful Mastsr F B Sewell and Bros Spinks and W J Caldwell, with a considerable number of Members, Brethren and friends.

The first regular meeting was held on 3 February 1912 and meetings continued until 1 July 1921 when the premises were leased to the government for use as a Supreme Court.

The Lodge then obbtained temporary premises in Anderson Road and afterwards at Rose Villa, Gopeng Road, where they remained until the end of 1930. They moveed again in 1930, to temporary accommodation in the Station Hotel, where they stayed until 7 May 1932. This was in the station's telephone room, the only available space, and during Lodge meetings this required one member of the Lodge to man the stations telephone switchboard.

At this time (1929/1930) their original building in Maxwell Road (shown above) was being temporarily used as classrooms by Anderson School as their own premises, in Douglas Road, were overcrowded. The building then became the administrative office for the Perak Education Department.

On 10th October 1931 the foundation stone for a new Lodge had been laid, in Tiger Lane, by the DGM and on 14 May 1932 this building, designed by Danish architect Berthel Michael Iversen became the permanent home of Kinta Lodge. It is still in use today (2007).

The Freemasonry website describes themselves as the oldest and largest world wide fraternity dedicated to the Brotherhood of Man under the Fatherhood of a Supreme Being. Although of a religious nature, Freemasonry is not a religion. It urges its members, however, to be faithful and devoted to their own religious beliefs. (http://www.freemasonry.org/)

To read more about the first Anderson School building, Ipoh, click here.

To read more about Anderson School, Ipoh, click here.

To read more about the Tiger Lane Masonic Lodge, Ipoh, click here.

To read more about Berthel Iversen, click here.

To read more about Rose Villa, click here.

Filename : 20070802-099