We've tried to ensure the information displayed here is as accurate as possible. Should there be any inaccuracies, we would be grateful if you could let us know at email@example.com . All images and content are copyright.
(Please click on the thumbnail for a bigger image.)
Han Chin Pat Sou / Han Chin Pet Soo - Part 1- The Hakka Miners' Clubhouse
These three photographs show the Hakka Miners Clubhouse at different stages of its life. The club was founded by Leong Fee aka Liang pi Joo, in 1893. A Kar Yin Hakka he was at the the leading Chinese miner in the area and prominent in both Perak and Penang.
Based on the original two-storey shophouse, the current building modified and extended in 1929 was designed as an elegant and striking three storey building, it was furnished tastefully throughout with inlaid Chinese furniture on the ground floor (the meeting room) and with more practical mahjong tables and chairs on the first floor. Included in the decor were two wash hand basins specially imported from Scotland.
The club was run at his expense until his death in April 1912, when his son Leong Yin Khean aka Liang En-Chuen, continued to sponsor the club and then in 1927, having deliberately devalued the land he sold the house cheaply to the members.
The photographs show the building: