We've tried to ensure the information displayed here is as accurate as possible. Should there be any inaccuracies, we would be grateful if you could let us know at email@example.com . All images and content are copyright.
(Please click on the thumbnail for a bigger image.)
New Hugh Low Bridge, Ipoh
The Hugh Low Bridge was first completed as a wooden bridge in 1890 and opened for wheeled traffic to Gopeng.
The wooden bridge was replaced with an iron bridge in 1900.
The iron bridge was then widened in 1930 (as pictured) to take the ever increasing traffic, mostly non motorised. However, it became an eyesore when many homeless started to live under the bridge during the recession in the late 1930's.
Abdullah Hussain recorded: 'The beggars collected empty tins to be sold to the dealers, they hung thick paper as walls and curtains. The beautiful river is spoilt if we look under the bridges.'
In this photograph, taken from the New Town side of the Kinta River the Peoples Park and the God of Prosperity temple can be seen.
To read more about Towkay Yau Tet Shin, click here.
To read more about The God of Prosperity Temple and the People's Park, click here.
To read more about Sir Hugh Low, click here.