We've tried to ensure the information displayed here is as accurate as possible. Should there be any inaccuracies, we would be grateful if you could let us know at email@example.com . All images and content are copyright.
(Please click on the thumbnail for a bigger image.)
Teluk Intan (Teluk Anson) - 100th Year Exhibition Booklet And Brief History
The picture shows the front cover of the 100th year exhibition booklet of Teluk Intan (formerly Teluk Anson), Perak. Featured on the front is none other than the iconic water/clock tower, which leans and generally known as the Leaning Tower of Telik Intan. The exhibition was held in conjunction with the town's 100th anniversary. Organised by the National Museum, this exhibition took place at the Hilir Perak Public Library, in Teluk Intan; on 29th May 1982. The exhibition was launched by the Raja Muda (Crown Prince) Raja Musa ibni Almarhum Sultan Abdul Aziz.
Teluk Intan was originally Teluk Mak Intan (Mak Intan Bay), named after a widowed trader (Mak Intan) who was trading across the Straits of Malacca. She eventually settled by the bay facing the Parit River. The land used to be a swamp with wild plants. The original town site was at the end of the present 'Bakar Sampah' Road (formerly Parit River, bordering Rengas River). The town's history began with a few settlers living in small areas by the Parit River (now Raja Road). Some of the villages around the bay were: Kampong Bandar, Batak Rabit, Durian Sebatang and Pasir Berdamar.
The people were mainly of the Rawa, Mandahling, Kampar and Bombay-Indian decent. A minority of them were Malay, Chinese and Indians. These settlers were farmers and fishermen, who made their homes on rafts or sampans (junks). When traders from China and India came to the Malay Peninsula, barter trading encouraged more people to migrate to the bay.
The British later came to Malaya and entered Perak around 1874. During this time (around the year 1880), Colonel Archibald Anson was appointed the District Officer of Hilir Perak. Anson planned the development of Durian Sebatang and Teluk Mak Intan. The town prospered and became a trade and administration hub. In appreciation, the place was named Teluk Anson - after the Colonel - in 1882. 100 years later, the Sultan of Perak renamed the place as Teluk Intan.