We've tried to ensure the information displayed here is as accurate as possible. Should there be any inaccuracies, we would be grateful if you could let us know at email@example.com . All images and content are copyright.
(Please click on the thumbnail for a bigger image.)
The Anglo-Chinese School, Ipoh - The First Custom-built Building, Both A Church And A School
The Anglo-Chinese School on Lahat Road was the first English school, as well as the first Christian mission school, in Kinta. It was established by the Methodist Episcopal Mission in 1895, and founded by Reverend W E Horley, a young Englishman.
This photograph shows a view of the first timber building of the Anglo-Chinese School (Ipoh) at Lahat Road. Completed in May 1896. It was the second building in the history of the school, the first being a Malay house. The building doubled as a school during the week and a Methodist church on Sundays. It remains standing today (2007).
To read more about Anglo-Chinese School, Ipoh, click here.
To read more about The Rev William Horley, click here.
To read more about the book ‘Kinta Valley’, click here.