We've tried to ensure the information displayed here is as accurate as possible. Should there be any inaccuracies, we would be grateful if you could let us know at email@example.com . All images and content are copyright.
(Please click on the thumbnail for a bigger image.)
Guardian Dragons Of The Rex Theatre (Cinema)
The pictures above are of the huge dragons that can be found at the Rex Theatre (Cinema) which is located next to Hai-O which is along Anderson Road. These two dragons were believed to be built together with the cinema known as the Isis Theatre in 1916 before the cinema was renovated in 1947 to become the Rex Theatre (Cinema) by the Shaw brothers where the dragons, one on the left side of the screen and the other on the right were retained.
It is believed that the dragon effigies acted as guardians to protect the audience from the spirits of those Chinese who had died and their funeral rites had been held, either in the coffin shops or the upstairs 'convalescent homes', all of which are located on Hume Street, directly behind the building.