We've tried to ensure the information displayed here is as accurate as possible. Should there be any inaccuracies, we would be grateful if you could let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org . All images and content are copyright.
(Please click on the thumbnail for a bigger image.)
St Michael’s Institution – The Day The School Opened 4 December 1912
This photograph from Brother Vincent Corkery’s archives was taken on 4 December 1912 to record the day SMI opened its doors to students. Mr P J Morsingh was the headmaster (in the high collared white tunic, centre) having been sent down from St Xavier’s, Penang by Brother Visitor James Byrne. He had 39 boys of wide-ranging ages and two assistant masters.
The school was housed in an old Malay bungalow situated in the midst of a coconut grove, known as Kampong Pisang. The bungalow was sited right in front of the present main building.
To read more about Mr P J Morsingh, click here.
To see an early photograph of Kampong Pisang, click here.
To read more about Brother James Byrne, click here.
To read more about St Michael’s Institution, click here.
To read more about the La Salle Brothers, click here.